|“||Home, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this prison is the worst hell on earth... Hope. Every man who has ventured here over the centuries has looked up to the light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy... So simple... And like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst, many have died trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize Gotham, I will feed its people hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to "stay in the sun." You can watch me torture an entire city and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, We will destroy Gotham and then, when it is done and Gotham is ashes, then you have my permission to die.||„|
|~ Bane to Batman|
|Unnamed deceased parents|
|Gotham Organized Crime, Suicide Squad (formerly), League of Assassins (formerly)|
|Crimelord, Mercenary, Terrorist|
|January, 30, 1962|
Base of Operations:
|Gotham City, Gotham|
|350 lbs (159 kg)|
|Place of Birth:||The Pit, Santa Prisca|
|Voiced By:||J. B. Blanc|
Bane is ruthless and cold, and was perfectly willing to slaughter millions of people with his bare hands without a care in the world. Bane was fully immersed in his beliefs and ideals, Bane’s time in prison affected him greatly, to the point that he sought to make Gotham experience the same situation that he and inmates did. Bane commanded absolute loyalty from his men and was perfectly willing to kill them in pursuit of his goals.
As a contrast to his brutality, Bane generally behaved like a stereotypical aristocratic gentleman: he acted jovial and polite toward both allies and enemies. Bane's habit of casually talking to people that he planned to hurt made him a disarming presence, which allowed him to maintain dominance in any situation. He was extremely calm, and spoke softly and confidently at all times, even when he threatened people.
In his speeches, Bane behaved like a classic revolutionary leader. He had an extremely sophisticated vocabulary that made his speeches more rousing. He was an exceptionally powerful public speaker, who was capable of dictating in front of vast crowds of people, even his enemies, and turned them over to his side.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Venom Usage: Bane's use of the Super-steroid Venom allowed him to temporarily enhance his physical functions to superhuman levels, particularly his strength, endurance, and speed. His body's senses and healing abilities are also augmented to a degree.
- Superhuman Strength: The primary effect of Venom is that it enhances strength to superhuman levels, depending on how much venom is injected. Bane can easily overpower and kill humans and other aliens like Kryptonians, and can bend and break through reinforced steel, destroy impenetrable barriers, and can lift extremely heavy objects, and uproot trees and buildings/structures as well as decimate them with his might. He is strong and powerful enough to overcome entire rosters of superhumans, like the Justice League.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Under the effects of Venom, Bane can react just as fast as the fittest human can. Able to react as fast if not a margin faster than Batman, Bane has fought many opponents while applying his tactics and supporting his massive frame.
- Enhanced Speed: Under the effects of Venom, Bane can run as fast as the fittest human can. Running on par with Olympic runners, Bane can support his weight while maintaining a high rate of speed.
- Superhuman Stamina: Under the effects of Venom, Bane can fight almost forever. As long as he can continue to pump Titan into his veins he can continue fighting indefinitely. While on a single dose of titan Bane has fought many battles for many hours and never seemingly stopped.
- Superhuman Durability: Under the effects of Venom, Bane can withstand powerful blows from metahumans, multiple bullets and explosions. With mere scratches and bruises Bane has withstood extreme torment at the hands of his enemies.
- Accelerated Healing: Bane can also use his Venom as a form of medicine to heal from injuries, poisons and diseases.
- Genius Level Intellect: Bane is also highly intelligent; Ra's al Ghul says that Bane "has a mind equal to the greatest he has known". In prison, he teaches himself various scientific disciplines equal to the level of understanding of leading experts in those fields, making him a genius, as well as one of Batman's most intelligent foes.
- Photographic Memory: Bane has a photographic memory, which borders on absolute total recall. This has allowed him to memorize the countless skills, disciplines, and facts that he taught himself over the years. Within one year, he is able to deduce Batman's secret identity.
- Polymath: Despite the absence of a college, high school, or even primary education as a result of incarceration, he has completely memorized all the facts in countless encyclopedias and books during his time in Peña Duro. He is exceptionally knowledgeable in various subjects including Mathematics, various Sciences, History, Geography, Medicine, and most likely more, to a level that would have definitely given him degrees in these fields.
- Indomitable Will: Bane's willpower and absolute belief in his goal are what make him such a dangerous opponent, as noted by Alfred Pennyworth.
- Multilingualism: Bane teaches himself ten active languages and at least four additional arcane and dead ones, those mentioned are Spanish, French, German, Russian, Mandarin, English, Farsi, Dhari, some Urdu, and Latin.
- Escapology: Bane is challenged only by Batman, Nightwing, and Mister Miracle in the arts of escaping and infiltration, and has managed to break out of Peña Duro (which is arguably the most heavily fortified prison in the world) as well as various maximum security centers, including Blackgate and Arkham Asylum.
- Intimidation: Being trained in the ways of Society of Lazarus, Bane mastered art of instilling fear in others and himself is resistant against Batman's deceptive maneuvers.
- Martial Arts: Even prior to being taught by Ra's al Ghul, Bane possessed great skills as a combatant. Following his time in the League of Shadows, Bane became a skilled enough fighter to defeat multiple opponents simultaneously, and even was able to easily beat Batman himself in single-hand combat during their first fight.
- Tactical Analysis: Bane is a master tactician who has shown himself capable of planning the theft of Gotham's stock exchange, and with the assistance of the prisoners of Blackgate, the complete takeover of Gotham City.
- Leadership: Bane is a highly influential man, and his men follow him without question (on more then one occasion his men have willingly accepted their deaths either by his request or his own hand). He speaks with great reasoning and strikes fear into his enemies, as well as his own followers.
- Venom: When Bane made use of Venom, he injected it into his muscles and brain through a special tube which was connected to wrist cuffs. Activating the control key, Bane could send large amounts of Venom directly into his brain for maximum effect.
- This design belongs to Phil Cho on Deviantart.